Select a health panel test to have a comprehensive examination of health and to save money
It is a test used to measure the level of homocysteine in the blood. Homocysteine is an amino acid that constitutes proteins in our bodies.Its high level indicates the risk of atherosclerosis. The more the level of homocysteine in our blood the more the chances that one can have Myocardial infarction, Ischemic Stroke, Hypertension, and Cardiovascular accidents. An individual needs to keep a check on its level as timely diagnosis prevents long term complications owing to it. Not only old but people of all ages are liable for testing.
Why is the Homocysteine Lab Test Carried Out?
Deaths from Vascular accidents are the second most common cause of death in the United States of America. An individual needs to keep a check on his homocysteine status to prevent long term devastating consequences. Moreover, The AHA and AACE guidelines list Homocysteine as one of the causes of ASCVD events and may be valuable in identifying patients at increased CVD, MI, and Stroke risk. You should get tested if
- You have a family history of Cardiovascular accidents
- If you have crossed 40 years
- If you have deranged cholesterol level
- If your healthcare professional wants to check the effectiveness of anti-lipid drugs
- If you want to assess the risk of CVA
- Any weakness in the body either generalized or focal
- Pain and heaviness in the chest.
- Having Diabetes for Years.
- If you are overweight or Obese
How to Interpret the results
- It is normal if below 15 micromole per litre.
- It is slightly raised if between 15-30 micromole per litre
- It is highly raised if above 30 micromole per litre.
One can do a fast of at least 8 hours to get accurate results. We draw blood to check the level of this enzyme in the blood.